From the Book of Eminent Burgesses of Dundee 1513 to 1885.

George Campbell, Duke of Argyll - 8th October 1885.

 

His GRACE GEORGE DOUGLAS CAMPBELL, DUKE OF ARGYLL, K.T., K.G., WAS ADMITTED BURGESS IN RESPECT OF HIS HIGH CHARACTER, EMINENT POSITION, AND PUBLIC SERVICES.

The connection Of the CAMPBELL family, to which the DUKE OF ARGYLL belongs, with Dundee and the neighbouring district extends backwards for over four hundred years. THOMAS CAMPBELL, the younger son of COLIN, second LORD CAMPBELL, and afterwards (1457) first EARL OF ARGYLL, was the founder of the branch of the CAMPBELLS of Lundie, a race long powerful in this locality. SIR COLIN CAMPBELL of Lundie, Bart., was the uncle of the MARQUESS OF ARGYLL, who was admitted Burgess of Dundee on 10th April, 1622 (vide page 121). A large portion of the land on which the town of Dundee is built was at one time in the possession of one of the ladies of the ARGYLL family. RICHARD MAITLAND, son of CHARLES, LORD HALTOUN (vide page 194), was married in 1678 to ANNA, daughter of ARCHIBALD, ninth EARL OF ARGYLL, and from the Register of Sasines in the Charter room of Dundee it appears that the dowry granted to her and her husband consisted of the lands of Benvie and Balruthrie, the dominical lands of Dudhope, and the lands of Chapelfield and of the Blackness Acres. All these lands, with the exception of Benvie and Balruthrie, are included within the municipal boundaries. They passed into the hands of VISCOUNT DUNDEE in the manner already related (vide page 194). The first DUKE OF ARGYLL played an important part in the history of Dundee at the time of MAR's Rebellion in 1715. After his victory at Sheriffinuir he advanced to Dundee, which was then one of the centres of Jacobite disaffection, and finding that the principal civic rulers had fled at his approach he appointed Commissioners to govern the Burgh until a new Council had been elected willing to support the Hanoverian dynasty.

GEORGE DOUGLAS CAMPBELL, eighth DUKE OF ARGYLL, is the second and only surviving son of JOHN, seventh DUKE OF ARGYLL, and Of JOAN, daughter Of JOHN GLASSEL, Esquire of Long Niddry, and was born at Ardincaple Castle, Dunbartonshire, on 30th April, 1823. He succeeded to the title on the death of his father, on 26th April, 1847, but before that time he had won some literary reputation whilst MARQUESS OF LORNE as a writer upon Church Polity in relation to the Established Church of Scotland. In Parliament his sympathies and his votes were with the Free Trade cause and party known as Peelite, but he separated himself from them in their Opposition to the Ecclesiastical Titles Bill, which in principle he supported, although he moved an amendment and thought it inefficient. He was elected Chancellor of the University of St Andrews in 1851, and still holds that position. In the following year he accepted the office of Lord Privy Seal in the Ministry of LORD ABERDEEN, and after the breaking up of the Government in 1855 he retained that post for a short time under LORD PALMERSTON. In doing so, he separated himself finally from the Peelite group of statesmen thinking that they had no longer any good reason for holding themselves aloof from the Liberal party under the leadership of LORD PALMERSTON. He resigned the Seal in 1855, and was appointed Postmaster General, and these two offices he held in succession several times until 1860, when he once more became Lord Privy Seal in the PALMERSTON Cabinet, and continued till 1866.

When the GLADSTONE Ministry was formed in December, 1868, he took office as Secretary of State for India, and remained in that post till the defeat of the Government in February, 1874. As the DUKE OF RICHMOND'S Bill for the Abolition of Church Patronage in Scotland in 1874 was completely in accordance with the ideas which he had promulgated in 1842 he gave it his hearty support, and his powerful advocacy of the measure greatly contributed towards its success. In 1877 8 he took an active part in opposition to the policy of LORD BEACONSFIELD'S Government on the Eastern Question, and in favour of the subject population of the Turkish Empire. He joined the new Government of Mr GLADSTONE in 1880. He had been a party to the Irish Land Act of 1870; but the more sweeping changes proposed by Mr GLADSTONE in the Irish Land Bill of 1881 seemed to the DUKE to be unsound in principle, and likely to fail in practice; on this ground he resigned office. He has since taken a strong part against the setting up of a separate Parliament for Ireland. His position now is stated to be that of a Constitutional Liberal. He is an eloquent orator and a practised debater, fluent and impassioned in speech, yet prudent and sagacious in counsel. When the DUKE OF ARGYLL Was admitted Burgess in 1885, he delivered an address on 12th November in the Albert Hall, after having opened the course of Armitstead Lectures.


The literary labours of the DUKE OF ARGYLL have been numerous and diversified. In 1842, at the age of nineteen, he published a pamphlet, "Letter to the Peers from a Peer's Son," on the Free Church controversy, urging on the Government the policy of conceding the claims of the General Assembly on the subject of Patronage, and supporting the constitutional claims of the Established Church to spiritual independence. In 1848 he published "Presbytery Examined," which is an elaborate essay on the History of the Reformation in Scotland, and on the constitutional peculiarities of the Scottish Presbyterian Church. He is the author of "The Reign of Law," a work first published in 1866, and which has gone through many editions both at home and in the United States. In 1868 he issued a volume, entitled "Primeval Man'" devoted to the consideration of clamant questions in science and archaeology. In January, 1879, he published a work, in two volumes, on the "Eastern Question," which is a careful examination of the history of that great subject, both in its Turkish and Indian branches; and gives an elaborate analysis of the diplomatic treatment of it by the BEACONSFIELD Administration.

In 1881 he published a work on "The Unity of Nature," which pursues the subjects previously dealt with in "The Reign of Law." It is directed mainly against Agnosticism. In 1878 appeared a small volume descriptive of the history and architectural remains and scenery of the Island of Iona. His most recent production is an extensive work, entitled "Scotland as it Was and as it Is," which was issued in 1887. It traces especially the economic and political progress of the nation from the earliest times. He has been, and still is, a frequent contributor to the periodical press on science and on politics. He was President of the British Association at their meeting in Glasgow in September, 1855, and was appointed President of the Royal Society of Edinburgh in 1861. He is a Knight of the Thistle and a Knight of the Garter, was created a Privy Councillor in 1853, and is Hereditary Master of the Queen's Household in Scotland.


The DUKE OF ARGYLL was married in 1844 to LADY ELIZABETH LEVESON GOWER, daughter of the second DUKE OF SUTHERLAND, and has by this marriage five sons and seven daughters living. His GRACE married, secondly, in 1881, AMELIA MARIA, daughter of the Right Rev. THOMAS LEGH CLAUGHTON, D.D., Bishop of St Albans. His eldest son, the MARQUESS OF LORNE, was married in 1871 to the PRINCESS LOUISE CAROLINE ALBERTA , fourth daughter of HER MAJESTY QUEEN VICTORIA.