GEORGE KINLOCH, ESQUIRE OF KINLOCH, WAS ADMITTED BURGESS FOR HAVING
PAID £20 STG. TO P. H. THOMS, PRESENT CHAMBERLAIN.
GEORGE KINLOCH was the younger Son of CAPTAIN GEORGE OLIPHANT KINLOCH of Rosemount, and of ANN, daughter of JOHN BALNEAVES of Carnbaddie. He was born at Bellevue (afterwards called Airlie Lodge), Dundee, on 30th April, 1775, and claimed descent from Dr DAVID KINLOCH of Aberbothrie, who was admitted Burgess on 17th February, 1602 (vicle page 92). His father acquired the estate of Aberbothrie from his cousin, Dr JOHN KINLOCH, and it is still in the possession of GEORGE KINLOCH'S grandson, SIR JOHN G. S. KINLOCH, Bart. GEORGE KINLOCH spent some time in France during the year 1793, and, like many of the statesmen of his time, he regarded the French Revolution as the beginning of a new era in the history of mankind. The impressions he then received were never effaced, and affected all his after life. His first public appearance in Dundee was made in 1814, in connection with the extension of the Harbour, which was carried through mainly by Mr KINLOCH'S exertions. His services were acknowledged by the Guildry, and he was presented with a piece of plate, valued at 100 guineas, by that Incorporation, on 13th October, 1815. His sympathy with the demand made at this time for the reform of Parliamentary institutions led Mr KINLOCH to take part in two mass meetings held on Magdalene Green, 26th February, 1817, and 10th November, 1819, and as some of the sentiments which he uttered at the latter of these assemblies were distasteful to the authorities, steps were taken to have him tried for sedition. As party feeling then ran very high, he was advised not to appear at the High Court of Justiciary, to which he had been summoned, and he was consequently outlawed for non appearance. He took refuge in France, and remained there till 1822 as an outlaw; but in that year his daughter was presented to GEORGE IV., when that monarch was in Edinburgh, and she interceded so successfully for her father that the sentence of outlawry was cancelled, and he returned to Dundee.
By the Reform Bill of 1832, Dundee obtained the right to send one representative to Parliament. On 17th December the day of his admission as Burgess Mr KINLOCH was nominated and returned to the Reformed Parliament as the first member for Dundee elected by the vote of the people. His public career, however, was suddenly terminated. Parliament assembled on 29th January, 1833, and Mr KINLOCH was most faithful in the performance of his duties, but on the 28th of March he died after a brief illness, being then in his fifty eighth year. His body was brought to Scotland, and buried in the Kinloch Chapel at Meigle. A bronze statue of Mr KINLOCH, executed by SIR JOHN STEELL, R.S.A., was erected on 3rd February, 1872, within the grounds of the Albert Institute.