From the Book of Eminent Burgesses of Dundee 1513 to 1885.

Charles William Boase, Banker, Dundee - 1st September 1831

 

CHARLES WILLIAM BOASE, BANKER, DUNDEE, WAS ADMITTED BURGESS, AND THAT AS SOME RETURN FOR HIS ZEALOUS EXERTIONS IN AIDING TO PROCURE A LIBERAL CONSTITUTION FOR THE BURGH OF DUNDEE, IN CONSIDERATION OF WHICH EXERTIONS ALL AND SUNDRY LIBERTIES, &C, WERE CONFERRED UPON HIM.

CHARLES WILLIAM BOASE was the son of HENRY BOASE, banker, of Penzance, and was born at Chelsea in 1804. The family removed from Chelsea to Penzance in 1810, and here CHARLES received the elements of his education. His father having established, in company with some of his partners, the "New Bank' in Dundee, CHARLES BOASE came to assume his place here in 1821, and seven years afterwards was appointed Manager.

In 1838 the New Bank was amalgamated with the Dundee Banking Company, which had been founded in 1763 by GEORGE DEMPSTER of Dunnichen (vide page 217), and Mr BOASE undertook the management of the latter concern until after, its union with the Royal Bank of Scotland. He retired from business in 1868 and shortly afterwards took up his residence in Edinburgh. Whilst on a visit at Albury, Surrey he had an apoplectic stroke which entirely prostrated him, and he died on 7th June, 1872, in the sixty eighth year of his age.


Though never employed in any public office, Mr BOASE took a great interest in the affairs of the burgh. It was mainly through his exertions that the Watt Institute was founded, and he acted as Secretary and Treasurer of it from its beginning in 1824 till 1836. In the agitation for political reform, he was one of the leading spirits; and, as the entry on the Burgess Roll shows, was zealous in his exertions to procure a reform in the municipal constitution of Dundee.

After the election of SIR HENRY PARNELL as member of Parliament for the burgh, he took no further share in political affairs, devoting all his energy to the extension of the Catholic Apostolic (Irvingite) Church, of which he became a conspicuous and energetic member. He was married to MARGARET LINDSAY, daughter of PROVOST WILLIAM LINDSAY (vide page 234), and had two sons and two daughters.