JAMES L'AMY, Esqre. OF DUNKENNY, SHERIFF DEPUTE OF FORFARSHIRE, WAS ADMITTED BURGESS AS A MARK OF THE RESPECT OF THE COUNCIL AND A TESTIMONY OF THEIR SENSE OF THE ATTENTION WHICH HE HAS ALWAYS GIVEN TO THE INTERESTS OF THE TOWN WHILE HE WAS ASSESSOR OF THE BURGH, AND SINCE HE BECAME CHIEF MAGISTRATE OF THE COUNTY, AND OF THE VALUABLE SERVICES HE HAS RENDERED TO THE COUNCIL GENERALLY.
JAMES L'Amy was the only son of JOHN RAMSAY L'AMY of Dunkenny, who was admitted Burgess on 26th September, 1780 (vide page 229), and was born on 8th July, 1772. He studied for the profession of the law, and passed as Advocate in 1794. He filled the office of Town's Advocate for Dundee a post which had been occupied by SIR GEORGE MACKENZIE, SIR WILLIAM NAIRNE, LORD DUNSINANE, and many other eminent lawyers but his appointment m Sheriff Depute of Forfarshire forced him to resign this place, and his letter of resignation is engrossed in the Council Minute of 11th August, 1819. He retained his Sheriffship till 1853, and only survived his demission of that office a few months, as he died on 15th January, 1854. He was married in 1811 to MARY, daughter of JOSEPH CARSON, M.D., of Philadelphia, and the son of this marriage is JOHN RAMSAY L'AMY, Esqre, the present proprietor of Dunkenny.