From the Book of Eminent Burgesses of Dundee 1513 to 1885.

William Johnstone, Merchant (Provost) - 7th June 1820

 

WILLIAM JOHNSTONE, MERCHANT IN DUNDEE, WAS ADMITTED BURGESS FOR HAVING PAID £10 STG. TO PATRICK HUNTER THOMS, PRESENT CHAMBERLAIN, IN FULL OF HIS FREEDOM.

WILLIAM JOHNSTONE was the son of the Rev. WILLIAM JOHNSTONE, minister of Rattray, and latterly of Chapelshade Church, Dundee. He was born at Blairgowrie on 15th August, 1798, and began business in Dundee as flaxspinner, in company with Mr WYLLIE, the firm being WYLLIE & JOHNSTONE. In 1837 he entered the Town Council, and served as Bailie from 1838 till 1841. On 14th April of that year PROVOST HACKNEY resigned his office, and BAILIE JOHNSTONE was chosen to administer it ad interim until the regular election in November. He had taken up the manufacture of jute at an early date, and had expended much capital in the erection of mills and machinery, anticipating a great future for this material but his speculations were unsuccessful, and he felt constrained to retire from the Provostship on 14th September, 1841. The place was then filled by Ex PROVOST KAY, and in the following November ALEXANDER LAWSON was elected to the Provost's chair. After his retirement, Mr JOHNSTONE took no part in public affairs, and he died in 1867, in his sixty ninth year.

 

 

Iain D. McIntosh, Friends of Dundee City Archives