WILLIAM CURR, LAWFUL SON OF THE ABOVE, ANDREW CURR, PRESENTLY RESIDING IN DUNDEE, WAS ADMITTED BURGESS IN RIGHT OF HIS SAID FATHER.
The name of WILLIAM CURR is made memorable in Dundee through the munificent bequests which he and his widow made to the poor in the Burgh. He was born in 1790, and settled in Dundee, where he established himself in business as a grocer in the Overgait, and, by prudence and frugality, made a considerable fortune. For a long time he took an interest in the Guildry, and held the office of Dean of Guild from 1846 till 1849. Ten years after the latter date he died, and his widow, who long survived him, left about £40,000 under trustees to be applied to various charitable institutions in Dundee. One of the objects which the Trustees deemed most likely to serve the purpose intended was the foundation of the institution known as the "Curr Night Refuge," which was opened in 1882. The tombstone which is in the Howff to mark the grave of the family bears the following inscription:
"Erected by William. Curr, merchant, Dundee, and Christian Robson, his spouse, in memory of Andrew Curr, their only child, who died March 2nd, 1847, in the nineteenth year of his age. Also in memory of Elizabeth Curr, sister of William Curr, who died March 17th, 1812, aged 24 years. Andrew Curr, his father, who died Feby. 16th, 1821, aged 70 years. And Mary Steill, his mother, who died March 27th, 1836, aged 79 years. Also in memory of William Curr, merchant, Dundee, who died 26th June, 1859, aged 69 years. And of Christian Robson, his spouse, who died 28th Decr. 1878, aged 81 years."