JAMES BROWN, MERCHANT IN DUNDEE, WAS ADMITTED BURGESS BY THE PRIVILEGE OF JAMES BROWN, FLAXSPINNER, BURGESS OF DUNDEE, HIS FATHER.
JAMES BROWN, senior, of Cononsyth, through whom this Burgess claims his freedom, was enrolled on 8th February, 1809. He was one of the earliest flaxspinners by steam power, and built the Bell Mill in the West Wards of Dundee in 1806. He died in 1811, in the fifty eighth year of his age.
His Son, JAMES BROWN, who is here enrolled, was born in 1787, and succeeded to the business and carried it on in conjunction with his brother, WILLIAM, for many years afterwards. He was elected Dean of Guild in 1824, and served in the Council almost continuously till 1832, holding the position of Bailie for three years (1828 29 32). In September, 1841, he was chosen Councillor to supply the vacancy caused by the resignation of BAILIE BOYACK, and continued to act in that capacity until the close of 1843.
He was made Provost in 1844, and filled that office for the full term, retiring in 1847. Some time afterwards he acquired the estate of Lochton, and handed over the flaxspinning business to his son, ANDREW. PROVOST BROWN took much interest in literary affairs, and was the first President of the Watt Institute. He died on 6th January, 1869, being then eighty two years of age.