HE QUIlILK DAYJAMES FITHIE, MASTER OF THE READING SCOLL, WAS ADMITTED BURGESS AND BROTHER OF THE GUILD, SO THAT HE AND HIS CHILDREN SHALL ENJOY THE BENEFITS FREELY, WITHOUT ANY ACKNOWLEDGMENT.
JAMES FITHIE first appears as "Schoolmaster in the Hill of Dundee," in August, 1637, at which date he was "admittit to be a Doctor under Mr JOHN MOW, for educating and learning of young children and bairns to read Inglische books," his stipend being ten pounds yearly. At this time JOHN Mow, who is described as "the principal musician," had charge of the "Sang schule" in Dundee, and was Reader in the East Kirk, as well as Teacher of the Reading school, which plurality of offices he had held from 1609. Shortly after FITHIE'S admission as Assistant Teacher, he was "appointed to attend in reading in the West Kirk upon the Sabbath day, and also in taking up the psalm in the East Kirk on the week days,"his annual salary being fixed at one hundred pounds.
The failing energy of JOHN now opened up still further preferment for JAMES FITHIE, and soon after he received an additional sum of fifty merks for "taking up the psalm in the West Kirk quhen there wes preaching there." JOHN Mow died in 1647, and FITHIE then became Master of the Reading school. The reason for his admission as a Burgess, in 1648, may be found in the fact that in that year " JAMES FITHIE, precentor, lent the Council the soum of ane thousand merks, for quhilk they subseryved ane band." This may account for the liberal terms upon which he and his children were admitted to the full privileges of Burgessship. The date of his death is not recorded. It is probable that he was the father of the Rev. JAMES FITHIE, AM, Minister of the Parish of Mains from 1663 till his death in 1672, and who was admitted a Burgess of Dundee on 10th December, 1663.