THE SAME DAY WILLIAM JUXONE, BISHOP OF HERYFOORD, IS ADDED TO THE
NUMBER OF THE BURGESSES AND BRETHREN OF THE GUILD OF THE SAID
BURGH, FOR THE SAME REASON.
The fact of the enrolment of four Prelates of the Episcopal Church upon the Burgess Roll of a Burgh so entirely devoted to Presbyterianism as Dundee then was requires some explanation. A comparison of dates will show that the admission of these four Bishops took place at the time when CHARLES I. was making a Royal progress through this part of the Kingdom after his Coronation. At the end of June, 1633, the KING set forth from Edinburgh upon a sporting tour, journeyed by Linlithgow and Dunfermline to Falkland Palace, where he remained for several days, ultimately reaching Perth on the 8th of July. It was whilst he was at Falkland that the Bishops who had accompanied him game to Dundee for the purpose of being made Burgesses; their personal presence in the town being proved negatively, since it is not stated that the honour was conferred upon them in absence. It may therefore be concluded that the honour was paid to the KING in their persons rather than to the form of ritual which they sought to introduce.
WILLIAM JUXON, Bishop of Hereford, and afterwards Bishop of London, was born at Chichester, in 1582, and studied along with WILLIAM LAUD at S. John's College, Oxford. It was his original intention to have followed the profession of the Law, but he afterwards abandoned this notion and took Orders in the Church, and in 1607 was made Vicar of S. Giles', Oxford. He succeeded LAUD as President of S. John's College, in 1621, and was preferred, through the influence of his patron, to various ecclesiastical offices in the Royal Household. In 1633, the year of his visit to Dundee, he was nominated Bishop of Hereford, and he bears that title in the Burgess Roll, although he never was in possession of the See. Before his consecration, LAUD had been raised to the Archbishopric of Canterbury, and JUXON was made Bishop of London in his stead. He became Member of the Privy Council in the same year, and was made Ecclesiastical Lord Treasurer two years afterwards. That office had not been held by a Churchman since the reign of HENRY VII, and much indignation was felt at his appointment to one of the most responsible posts in the Government, but his administration of the office gave no room for opposition. Though the close associate of LAUD, his character was totally opposed to that of the ARCHBISHOP, and he counselled such moderation to the KING in the most serious crises in his history as would have saved the unfortunate Monarch from destruction. He retired from public life after the execution of STRAFFORD, but he retained his office as Bishop of London till 1649. The KING discovered too late the value of the advice which he had received from JUXON, and by his express desire the BISHOP attended upon him throughout the whole of his trial, and accompanied him to the scaffold. At the Restoration, JUXON was raised to the Archbishopric of Canterbury, but did not long enjoy this office, as he died on 4th June, 1663, in his eighty first year. He was buried at S. John's, Oxford, and at the same time the remains of his old patron, LAUD, were removed from their first resting place at Barking and laid beside him.