From the Book of Eminent Burgesses of Dundee 1513 to 1885.

Magister Andrew Lamb - 14 September 1599

 

WHICH DAY MAGISTER ANDREW LAMB OF SOUTH LEITH, PASTOR OF THE CHURCH OF ABERBROTHOCK, IS ADDED TO THE NUMBER OF THE BURGESSES AND GUILDBRETHREN OF THE BURGH OF DUNDEE, FOR HIS AID IN THE ADVANCEMENT OF THE COMMONWEAL.

Magister ANDREW LAMB began his public career as Minister of Burntisland, and completed it as Bishop of Galloway. Betwixt these extremes his life was a busy one, and his name appears frequently both in political and ecclesiastical history. The place of his birth has not been recorded. When the church at Burntisland was re built in 1592 he was appointed first Pro¬testant Minister there, and remained in that charge for four years. In 1596 he was translated to Arbroath, and continued there till July, 1600. It was whilst in this place that he was admitted a Burgess of Dundee, and the entry is curiously confirmed by the ecclesiastical records of the period. It may be noticed that whilst he is described as "of South Leith," he is further designated as"Pastor of the church of Aberbrothock." This is accounted for by the fact that he was proposed for Minister of the Second Charge at South Leith, in March, 1598, but did not obtain licence of transportation till March, 1600, and he was thus presentee to one church and Minister of another at the time of his admission as Burgess. Whilst serving the charge at South Leith, he was appointed Minister to JOHN, EARL OF MAR, when on an embassy to England, and shortly after his return he was promoted to the office of Dean of the Chapel Royal at Stirling, and presented to the conjoint charges of Kirkinner and Kirkcowen, by the KING, in 1602. At the latter date he was nominated "Commendator of the Abbacie of Coupar," and was selected to preach the fare¬well sermon at Holyrood House on the morning of the KING's departure to assume the Crown of the United Kingdom. His favour at Court still increased, and in 1607 he was nominated Bishop of Brechin, and consecrated at London three years afterwards. During his reign as Bishop of this See, he presented a magnificent chandelier to the Cathedral church, which still exists as a testimony of his liberality. He was translated to the See of Galloway in 1619, and remained in that office until his death, ill 1634. He had then served the Church for over forty years, and had become blind in the service of his KING and country. His acceptance of episcopal dignity had not rendered him more popular, but had brought him into high repute with KING JAMES. But for his age and physical infirmity he would certainly have taken an advanced position in the contest between Prelacy and Presbytery, which 'began with the reign of CHARLES 1, in 1625.


From the Council Minutes, it appears that "Mr ANDRO LAMB, Commendator of Coupar and preacher to His MAJESTY," was commissioned by the KING, in October, 1605, to act as mediator in a dispute between JAMES WEDDERBURN, Son of the TOWN CLERK, and a certain ROBERT ROLLOK. The precise cause of this quarrel has not been described, but it seemed probable that the Minister would have settled their differences had not a mariner, called DAVID BLYTH, encouraged ROLLOCK in his opposition. For his contumacy, "Mr ANDRO found fault with him, and callit him ane evil neighbour, and said he suld accuse him as ane stayer of the peace of the town. DAVID answerit that he carit nocht for his challenge, he had been before the Privie Council of before, and he knew quhat a man Mr ANDRO wes; and that he [DAVID] wes as honest a man as Mr ANDRO, and that his father wes as honest as Mr ANDRO his father; and farder, sayit that he knew Mr ANDRO would rail against him in the pulpit as Mr JAMES ROBERTSON did, but he cair'd nocht for it; and utherwayes misbehavit himself very irreverntly to Mr ANDRO." as this conduct was likely to bring the Burgh into disrepute with the KING, the PROVOST and BAILIES ordered BLYTH to be put in ward, and both parties were afterwards bound over to keep the peace towards each other.

 

 

 

Iain D. McIntosh, Friends of Dundee City Archives