WHICH DAY MAGISTER JOHN CHRYSTESOUN, MINISTER OF THE WORD OF GOD AT INNERGOWRIE, IS MADE A BURGESS AND BROTHER OF THE GUILD, FOR THE SUM OF TEN POUNDS, PAID TO THE PRESENT TREASURER DAVID ZEMAN; OTHER ACCIDENTS GRATIS.
JOHN CHRYSTESOUN first appears as Reader at Dunfermline, from 1570 to 1574. Two years after the latter date he was entered as Minister of Logie, Dundee a Church which, before the Reformation, had belonged to the Abbey of Scone. On his entrance, the Churches of Liff and Invergowrie were also placed under his charge, and the latter seems to have been regarded as the most important of the three, as he is designated Minister of Invergowrie in the Burgess Roll. He retained his triple office till 1608, and died shortly after that date, leaving a widow, BESSIE KEIR, and one Son, WILLIAM. He was succeeded by JOHN DUNCANE, from Lundie Parish, who also had the three Churches under his care.
The Parishes of Logie, Invergowrie, and Liff were united by the Commissioners of Parliament in 1613; but for some time after the death of JOHN CHRYSTESOUN, the Parson of Dundee had charge of the spiritual affairs of the Church of Logie. He must not be confounded with WILLIAM CHRYSTESOUN, the first ordained Minister of Dundee, who was living at the time of the admission of the Minister of Invergowrie as a Burgess of Dundee.